Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Cooking on a Hot Stove

Major League Baseball's free agent signing period has officially begun, and according to Baltimore Orioles general manager Andy MacPhail, the Birds have "payroll flexibility" and are willing to throw major money at a few major free agents this off season. The problem is, however, there aren't really any major free agents to throw money at this year. There's Jason Bay and Matt Holliday, but the O's don't need any outfielders. I think they like where they are with Nolan Reimold, Adam Jones, and Nick Markakis.

While Baltimore needs a veteran starting pitcher, the market's biggest name, John Lackey will be grossly overpaid this year, and I don't think that the O's can win a bidding war with the Yankees. So, remove Lackey from the wish list. That leaves guys like Rich Harden, Ben Sheets, Randy Wolf, and former Orioles ace, Erik Bedard. I would take any one of these guys.

Also on the Orioles Christmas wish list are a third and first baseman. They have options in Michael Aubrey, Luke Scott, and Ty Wigginton, but I would like to see them go after a guy like Adrian Beltre or Chone Figgans for third, and maybe Hank Blaylock, Russell Branyan, or Carlos Delgado at first. The Orioles have prospects for these positions making their way through the minors in Josh Bell and Brandon Snyder, but neither are expected to be ready this season. Trading for a guy like Miguel Cabrera or Adrian Gonzales would cost major prospects, but I think either would be worth it. "You gotta spend money to make money."

That leaves the bull pen. The Orioles traded closer George Sherrill to the Dodgers for the aforementioned Bell, enabling Jim Johnson to take the closer role, a role where he did anything but pitch well. Then again, Sherrill has to be the only pitcher in history to amass thirty saves in a season while loading the bases in each of those saves. Johnson is lights out as a set up guy and I would like to see him return to that role. Koji Uehara will return from injury next season and is expected to pitch from the pen,(he excelled as a closer in Japan) but I still think that the O's should go after a flame thrower like Fernando Rodney. Names like Billy Wagner, Mike Gonzales, and Raphael Soriano have been tossed around a bit, but Rodney reminds me of Lee Smith. I love having that dominant guy coming out of the pen to close out a game. It gets the fans energized and strikes a little fear in the opposing team's heart.

I'm an Orioles fan and I want to compete now. I think that with the right moves, break out seasons from guys like Weiters, Reimold, Matusz, and Tillman, a solid bounce-back season from Jeremy Guthrie, and the continued emergence of Brad Bergesen, the O's could make some serious noise next year.

I know these are a lot of "ifs", but I've always viewed the world through orange tinted glasses anyway! My name is Chris, and I am a Kool-Aidaholic.

Here is my opening day 2010 Baltimore Orioles roster.

1. 2B Brian Roberts

2. CF Adam Jones

3. RF. Nick Markakis

4. 1B. Carlos Delgado

5. 3B. Adrian Beltre

6. C. Matt Weiters

7. LF. Nolan Reimold

8. DH. Luke Scott

9. SS. Cesar Izturis

Bench: IF Ty Wigginton, IF Robert Andino, OF Felix Pie, C ?? I'd like to see Moeller come back.

SP. Ben Sheets, Jeremy Guthrie, Brian Matusz, Brad Bergesen, Chris Tillman

RP. David Hernandez, Jason Berken, Mark Hendrickson, Kam Mickilio, Koji Uehara, Jim Johnson, Fernando Rodney. (might need another lefty in there)

Ain't Nothin' wrong with that!

P.S.

I am getting married on September 25th. What an even more perfect day it would be if I could be with all of the people I love, crowded around a T.V. cheering the O's on in a game against the Yankees or Red Sox that actually means something!! (after the wedding of course, and don't judge me, the bride will be cheering just as loud as everyone else!) A few of you guys who will read this will be there and absolutely know what I am talking about. Could this be the next version of the "Why Not" O's?

Something Magic Happens.....

No comments:

Post a Comment