Thursday, October 1, 2009

Hockey's back...What else is on?


The 2009-2010 NHL season has officially started...awesome. I can't wait for all of the "hockey fans" to start showing up at my bar just in time to catch the playoffs. Seriously, who REALLY likes hockey anyway. I know a bunch of people who claim to be Capitals fans (certain people excluded...Comissioner Gordon), but if you ask them who Al Iafrate is you'll likely get blank stares rather than legitimate answers. By the way, the answer to that question...Al Iafrate is the man who owns the esteemed honor of not only having a monster slap shot, but also for sporting the greatest mullet in the history of pro sports. If there were a hall of fame for haircuts, this guy would be a shoo-in...but I digress. You know where you have to go to watch hockey? VS. That's right, the same channel that shows hunting and fishing all day long with the occasional spattering of M.M.A (which in my opinion is nothing more than human dogfighting). I get it though, hockey players are amazing athletes, who, through coordination alone, deserve the highest accolades. It's just that the sport sucks. You know why they allow the players to fight? Because that's the only thing that keeps people interested. Have you ever been to a hockey game where less than ten goals were scored? It's like watching tennis (only less exciting). There's a reason ESPN would rather show the National Spelling Bee than hockey. I actually think that the Spelling Bee highlights get more air time than those from the NHL, a so-called "major" sport, even though one of it's franchises had to be taken over by the league due to poor management. Not even Peter Angelos could screw up that badly.

7 comments:

  1. I agree Chachi!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. by the way I like your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not the best sport but a good night out!
    Get Danny or Gina on here with a rant in favour of the game.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The blog is always open for comment...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Personally, I don't think you have to know the history of a sport to be a fan of it. I am a new hockey fan (growing up in Fla...not much of it around). I fell in love with it after going to my first Capitals game. Great energy, great athletes...and blood! What more can you ask for?

    BTW, is there ever a moment you don't trash tennis??!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim,
    Certainly there are exceptions. You are not claiming to be a life-long fan. I
    wasn't trashing tennis, just comparing the action of hockey, with all of the back and forth, to what takes place during a tennis match. I also said that I thought tennis was more exciting than a low scoring hockey game.
    So defensive...

    ReplyDelete